IndianaJoan
une (gaufre)
Ise
Yul
Luc
PolkaDotBrain
48 participants

Page 4 sur 8 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Suivant

Let's speak English! - Page 4 Empty Re: Let's speak English!

Message par Hugues Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 1:25

moon the loon a écrit:If I don't understand you it is because I don't take any drugs [edit : nor alcohol] ;-)
I do, after the Opium and other scaring stuff I'm away from this kind of medicine, how can you call it medicine when it make you feel half die

I'm not in the Nord but the Moselle, it mean that if I wanna go to England I need to take the train at Paris, and England isn't my cup of tea (Easy, I know).

But England means a lot of Whisky so ... maybe one day you'll find me fucked up in London.

Apple ask me to come at London for the Apple watch, I don't think I've the time, I've a lot of work

Hugues

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message par Invité Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 15:40

Dernière édition par moon the loon le Jeu 2 Avr 2015 - 1:17, édité 1 fois

Invité
Invité

Message par Hugues Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 16:30

I don't need any translator to speak with geeks it's not like if I speak business with a bunch of Wall street guys lol, and no Apple is selfish you pay every fees.

And if you pay attention you'll figure you out when I write there are randoms mistakes, sometimes I drop letters, sometimes I forget to conjugate and sometimes and don't even know what I've wrote Very Happy

Like in French so it's not my English goal to be able to write kinda stuff readable that's a bigger issues, my mind is screwed up but thanks to try to fix the unfixable.

But if you want come with me I can pay the hotel and you pay alcohol, DEAL ?? Diable

Hugues

Message par Invité Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 16:56

I've been thinking about Scotland for several months now. I guess it became an obsession since it regurlaly pops up in my head with no apparent reason (I mean, beside common sense because, you know, who could possibly refuse to travel across all these stunningly beautiful landscapes and meet some very welcoming people ?).

Like some places around the world are calling you, and you'll figure out why only when you'll get there. Maybe it's the vibe I can get from there, I don't know (yet).

There's something magic about this, because whether the reason you could find is your own creation or there was an objective causal chain which leads you to go there and nothing more, it doesn't really matter at the end.

Invité
Invité

Message par Hugues Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 18:51

That's that.

I guess we all have places we belong, if you don't get what you want in your country just move if you still searching for just keep moving.

I wish I could one day make a trip across the US, around the word, I don't know just move and search the best place for me.

Hugues

Message par Invité Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 23:50

Dernière édition par moon the loon le Jeu 2 Avr 2015 - 1:23, édité 1 fois

Invité
Invité

Message par Invité Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 23:52

Dernière édition par moon the loon le Jeu 2 Avr 2015 - 1:23, édité 1 fois

Invité
Invité

Message par Hugues Jeu 26 Mar 2015 - 0:38

Snif, Ok I understand Crying or Very sad

Hugues

Message par Ventvert Ven 5 Juin 2015 - 17:26

this is exactly what happened for me, going abroad far from France (and not being french anymore, what an illusion...) almost five years ago, quick Quebec and "London calling" then just the time not to pass away, right now along the endless sea : something absolutely beyond any reason, any explanation, in a way magical, electrical. It depends on varying things and can lead to different paths (mine having been a complete boundless Hell, raising to a healthy atmosphere wing by wing...patiently, carefully, hopefully, ), I will probably never figure out deeply why this specific place called me to live all these things except to take a huge turn, a kind of immense cleaning full of simplicity, self-honesty towards our own fragility, vulnerabilities and therefore strength...I have to work now, see you another time maybe, enjoy
Ventvert
Ventvert

Message par Abonné absent Ven 5 Juin 2015 - 18:10

@Ventvert:
Well, we always stay a kind of Frenchman from the point of view of foreigners. But that's true we are becoming strangers to people who have stayed in France. And the shock when you come back happens because you thought you haven't changed.
In NZ I used to introduce myself as a French Wellingtonian as a joke. Stupidly enough I forgot to turn this joke into reality when I settled back in France. But who in France could have understand what a French Wellingtonian would be?
In UK, don't you introduce yourself as a French Londonian when people ask you where you're coming from?
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Hetaepsilon Lun 8 Juin 2015 - 23:00

Hi everybody!

I don't know about you, but I love (really) speak english.
I used to be a good student in it, but because years and years with bad teachers, I'm not fluent anymore.
Is there someone who is able to talk with me and to help me improving my english?

Thanks everyone! Very Happy
Hetaepsilon
Hetaepsilon

Message par Abonné absent Lun 8 Juin 2015 - 23:07

I'm sure in Rouen, with the UK being so close, you shouldn't have much problems to find native English speakers who would be happy to have conversations with you. Try to see if there is an English club around.
Isn't there any true British pub in Rouen? I mean a pub run by true Englishmen.
They should know where to go.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Hetaepsilon Lun 8 Juin 2015 - 23:16

Silwilhith a écrit:I'm sure in Rouen, with the UK being so close, you shouldn't have much problems to find native English speakers who would be happy to have conversations with you. Try to see if there is an English club around.
Isn't there any true British pub in Rouen? I mean a pub run by true Englishmen.
They should know where to go.

Well, I'm not anymore full-time in Rouen (I should fix it), I'm also in Cergy (more around Paris than the UK).
And, at my knowledge, there is not. Do you know my town? Question
Hetaepsilon
Hetaepsilon

Message par Abonné absent Lun 8 Juin 2015 - 23:27

My father was born in Rouen (in 1928) and I still have a few cousins living over there. I visit them from times to times, when my steps take me toward this area.

Isn't Cergy awfully dull? silent
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Hetaepsilon Lun 8 Juin 2015 - 23:55

Silwilhith a écrit:My father was born in Rouen (in 1928) and I still have a few cousins living over there. I visit them from times to times, when my steps take me toward this area.

Isn't Cergy awfully dull? silent

What's a nice thing!

What do you mean about Cergy? I understand the word but not the mind... scratch Perplexe
Hetaepsilon
Hetaepsilon

Message par Abonné absent Mar 9 Juin 2015 - 0:00

My impression of Cergy, the image I have about this city, is that there is no cultural life, no night life, no pubs, very few shops, no entertainment. Awfully dull.

Dernière édition par Silwilhith le Mar 9 Juin 2015 - 0:07, édité 1 fois
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Hetaepsilon Mar 9 Juin 2015 - 0:06

Silwilhith a écrit:http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/awfully
http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/dull

terriblement ennuyeux Smile ou super chiant si tu préfères Wink

Oui, non mais j'ai compris ça. x'D Mais qu'est-ce qui te fait dire ça? Perplexe
Hetaepsilon
Hetaepsilon

Message par Abonné absent Mar 9 Juin 2015 - 0:08

I've edited my post. Gave a more sensible answer.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Hetaepsilon Mar 9 Juin 2015 - 14:57

Silwilhith a écrit:My impression of Cergy, the image I have about this city, is that there is no cultural life, no night life, no pubs, very few shops, no entertainment. Awfully dull.

Have you ever been here? Because near the "Port", it's more animated, especially on Thursday!
Hetaepsilon
Hetaepsilon

Message par morganw Mer 10 Juin 2015 - 9:47

Great thread. I love to speak english too.

I studied in Ireland as part of my Erasmus. I still struggle with some accents, but who doesn't?

Let me tell you a little story that will make you feel better. When I was in Ireland, I stayed in a host family. They also hosted their nephew, who was from Athlone. At first, when this guy was talking to me I couldn't understand a single word.

But surprisingly it turned out that the other members of the family were not doing much better than me, they were always asking him to repeat what he'd said. So I guess it's normal to struggle with accents sometimes.
If you look at it, the diversity of accents in the UK and in Ireland is huge compared to the one in France I wonder how one can explain such a diversity, if someone has the answer I'd be more than interested to read about it.

I'm a Liverpool fan, and I love football and music. One of my hobbies is to listen to english football songs and to try to find out what is the original song that inspired it. You'd be surprised to see how creative and lyrical football fans can be sometimes. It's also a way to rediscover some great old songs.

Have a nice day.

morganw

Message par Hugues Mer 10 Juin 2015 - 16:42

The ones who is able to understand every accents isn't human.

Even US native speakers do not understand UK folks, even in the same country the accent can be enough different to need subtitles.

Hugues

Message par Hetaepsilon Mer 10 Juin 2015 - 17:06

morganwlfc a écrit:Great thread. I love to speak english too.

I studied in Ireland as part of my Erasmus. I still struggle with some accents, but who doesn't?

Let me tell you a little story that will make you feel better. When I was in Ireland, I stayed in a host family. They also hosted their nephew, who was from Athlone. At first, when this guy was talking to me I couldn't understand a single word.

But surprisingly it turned out that the other members of the family were not doing much better than me, they were always asking him to repeat what he'd said. So I guess it's normal to struggle with accents sometimes.
If you look at it, the diversity of accents in the UK and in Ireland is huge compared to the one in France I wonder how one can explain such a diversity, if someone has the answer I'd be more than interested to read about it.

I'm a Liverpool fan, and I love football and music. One of my hobbies is to listen to english football songs and to try to find out what is the original song that inspired it. You'd be surprised to see how creative and lyrical football fans can be sometimes. It's also a way to rediscover some great old songs.

Have a nice day.

Very nice story!! I should have been really fun! ^^
Where do you come from?
Anhd what kind of music do you listen to? Only football music? Question
Hetaepsilon
Hetaepsilon

Message par morganw Mer 10 Juin 2015 - 18:45

[/quote]

Very nice story!! I should have been really fun! ^^
Where do you come from?
Anhd what kind of music do you listen to? Only football music? Question [/quote]

Haha yeah it was funny. I'm from the countryside somewhere between Saint Etienne and Clermont Ferrand but I'm in Paris sometimes too. I listen to a wide range of music, I like some really old songs (When Johnny comes marching home), the Beatles are probably my favourite band, but I also enjoy Mc Solaar, IAM, Gainsbourg, Mano Negra, the Kooks, Cage the Elephant, the Clash... The full list would be too long. What about you?

morganw

Message par Hetaepsilon Mer 10 Juin 2015 - 19:17

[quote=morganwlfc]
Haha yeah it was funny. I'm from the countryside somewhere between Saint Etienne and Clermont Ferrand but I'm in Paris sometimes too. I listen to a wide range of music, I like some really old songs (When Johnny comes marching home), the Beatles are probably my favourite band, but I also enjoy Mc Solaar, IAM, Gainsbourg, Mano Negra, the Kooks, Cage the Elephant, the Clash... The full list would be too long. What about you?[/quote]

I'm from Cergy and Rouen, it's depend of the time in the year.
I love rock'n'roll, pop and electronic music. This time, I listen to a lot of guns'n'rose, either a AC/DC ^^
Hetaepsilon
Hetaepsilon

Message par Zufall (Milune) Mer 10 Juin 2015 - 19:37

The accents... Haha. Once I was in Germany, working in a library. And there was this man, who has a strange accent and such a terrible way of speaking, and I felt so stupid. I just couldn't understand a word he said. Considering the fact that I had to work with him... Arg.

Actually, I'm learning English at school (approximately 8 hours a week till one school year), but to my mind it isn't the place where I've really been free to learn properly. I've read books (also fanfictions huhu) by myself, I've seen a lot of series and films in VO or in VOSTFR. I think very often in English, and I also write some stories... Well.

I'm just so moved when I can see an actor/an actress playing, when I can hear his/her true voice, and be able to understand. That's... sexy? Very Happy I've learned some poems too, for my own pleasure ~

Well, we're over with my story, and I definitely find this topic is a funny idea, I've enjoyed it.

By the way, when I've read "When Johnny comes marching home" it reminded me of a song I'm used to listen to: When the Man Comes Around, of Johnny Cash.

(I hope that my English isn't too poor.)
Zufall (Milune)
Zufall (Milune)

Message par morganw Mer 10 Juin 2015 - 19:42

Hetaepsilon a écrit:
morganwlfc a écrit:
Haha yeah it was funny. I'm from the countryside somewhere between Saint Etienne and Clermont Ferrand but I'm in Paris sometimes too. I listen to a wide range of music, I like some really old songs (When Johnny comes marching home), the Beatles are probably my favourite band, but I also enjoy Mc Solaar, IAM, Gainsbourg, Mano Negra, the Kooks, Cage the Elephant, the Clash... The full list would be too long. What about you?

I love rock'n'roll, pop and electronic music. This time, I listen to a lot of guns'n'rose, either a AC/DC ^^
Not my favourites. Who's your favourite pop artist? Are you a student?

morganw

Message par Hetaepsilon Sam 13 Juin 2015 - 21:02

Zufall a écrit:(...) I think very often in English, and I also write some stories... Well.(...)
Hey! Someone told me that when you're starting thinking in English, it's that you've got a nice level then!

morganw a écrit:
Hetaepsilon a écrit:
Pop artist? Hum... Very hard to answer... I would say Charlie Winston. ^^
Yes, why?
Hetaepsilon
Hetaepsilon

Message par Abonné absent Sam 13 Juin 2015 - 21:35

Hetaepsilon a écrit:
Zufall a écrit:(...) I think very often in English, and I also write some stories... Well.(...)
Hey! Someone told me that when you're starting thinking in English, it's that you've got a nice level then!
Well, I think it's not just that. It means you've started to, say, open your mind to a new way of thinking.
If you think in English just because you translate your French mind, that's not really a gain.
But, considering that native English speakers (I mean Anglo-American people) have a different way of considering situations because they have a different set of words and different centers of interest and points of views, if you really start thinking in English, you're approaching their way of thinking.

I know it's a bit hard to understand but it becomes clear when you study and observe foreign cultures.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par morganw Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 10:06

Hetaepsilon a écrit:

morganw a écrit:
Hetaepsilon a écrit:
Pop artist? Hum... Very hard to answer... I would say Charlie Winston. ^^
Yes, why?
20, lives in Cergy and Rouen... can only be a student Very Happy . What do you study?
It takes some time to think in english, but if you wanna be spontaneous you can't always translate your thoughts. However I'd say that you can only develop that skill in an english-speaking environment.

morganw

Message par pilipili Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 10:27

morganw a écrit:
It takes some time to think in english, but if you wanna be spontaneous you can't always translate your thoughts. However I'd say that you can only develop that skill in an english-speaking environment.
Definitelty yes. I spent 6 months in NZ three years ago, and came back struggling to find some words in French. Laughing (hey, try translating "fluffy" or "to chill" into French ! ). That's not really a matter of level but more a matter of always using English to communicate.

(I like this topic, btw. I'll need ages to write answers in English because I want them as correct as can be, but writing in English is the best way to keep/improve one's level ! )
pilipili
pilipili

Message par Abonné absent Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 10:39

pilipili a écrit:I spent 6 months in NZ three years ago
Where about in NZ?
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par pilipili Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 10:51

Mostly post-earthquake Christchurch (I did a research internship at University of Canterbury), but I also travelled around to visit (almost) the whole country Smile

Why ? Do you know NZ ^^ ?
pilipili
pilipili

Message par Abonné absent Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 10:59

I've lived for four years in Wellington, mate. Smile
Back in France since 5 years.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par pilipili Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 11:06

Oh ! Why there ? (and why back ? )

NZ is insanely far away from everything, that is the only reason I didn't even consider accepting any long-term job proposal there. That's a shame because I left a couple of friends down under, but I couldn't imagine being 38h away from all the friends I have up here Sad I still have mixed feelings about this decision, I must admit *sigh*
pilipili
pilipili

Message par Abonné absent Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 12:20

pilipili a écrit:Oh ! Why there ? (and why back ? )
Answers there: https://www.zebrascrossing.net/t21311-retour-d-expatriation#948433

After four years over there, you end up with more friends in NZ than in France, dude.
We made a "little party" when we left to say goodbye to all our beloved friends. We invited 140 people! Only close friends.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Zufall (Milune) Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 12:41

Silwilhith a écrit:Well, I think it's not just that. It means you've started to, say, open your mind to a new way of thinking.
If you think in English just because you translate your French mind, that's not really a gain.
But, considering that native English speakers (I mean Anglo-American people) have a different way of considering situations because they have a different set of words and different centers of interest and points of views, if you really start thinking in English, you're approaching their way of thinking.

I understand very well what you mean. Most of the time I think in English effortlessly, that's why I don't believe that I'm just translating my French mind Wink I've also difficulties to translate most of my words, it's more about instinct. Sometimes I can't explain it. There's actually a "dimension", an aspect behind words and expressions that I don't find in their usual equivalents in French. It's a whole different universe. A parallel one I suppose.

morganw a écrit:However I'd say that you can only develop that skill in an english-speaking environment.

I'm obviously aware that having an english-speaking environment helps, but I also think that reading/listening a lot of english can develop that skill a little, even if we're not directly in this kind of environment.

Again, sorry if I've made mistakes.
Zufall (Milune)
Zufall (Milune)

Message par Abonné absent Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 12:52

Rather than talking of "environment" or "reading/writing", I'd say that exchanging with (Anglo-American) people changes progressively your mindset.
And this is because you use different words, expressions, points of views, that don't have their common equivalent in France.

If I say for example that people in France don't pick up the poo of their dogs on the walkway, French people smile, Anglos are upset.
If I say that Anglos behave like if they were loving their neighbors, Anglos appreciate me a lot, and the French think it's bullshit.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Zufall (Milune) Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 14:15

I see. Then it's more about the mentality than the language itself?
Zufall (Milune)
Zufall (Milune)

Message par pilipili Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 14:32

Wow. Your experience sounds great and a bit sad in the same time  bounce
I hope you don't regret taking both of these decisions now !

Silwilhith a écrit:
Rather than talking of "environment" or "reading/writing", I'd say that exchanging with (Anglo-American) people changes progressively your mindset.
And this is because you use different words, expressions, points of views, that don't have their common equivalent in France.
I think we have to keep in mind the difference between culture and language (even though they do influence each other). What you describe is a change in culture, and it happens when one is close to somebody with another culture, whatever the language they use to communicate (e.g. the French and french-speaking Canadians). It is different from a change in "thinking language", that occurs when one communicates (in an active or passive way) using a language different from their mothertongue.

If I exchange with German colleagues in English, all of us will tend to think in English but keep our mindset almost unchanged. Smile (I may even start to see things the German way rather than the English way... )

(And could anybody correct me if my capitals are misplaced, please ? I've never been good at those typo-nazi things Rolling Eyes )
pilipili
pilipili

Message par lynka Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 17:03

[off topic] typo nazi:
Therefore, calling the correct use of capital letters "typo nazi thing" can be offending to those for whom capital letters matter. I feel offended on their behalf.
What a Face

You're welcome. clown
You can call me names now, or virtually punch me in the face.  Dent pétée
For free.

Dernière édition par lynka le Dim 5 Juil 2015 - 18:20, édité 1 fois
lynka
lynka

https://discord.gg/aRMPnYzVe8

Message par pilipili Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 17:33

Hum sorry then, that wasn't my point at all. I do give importance to proper use of capitals both in English (that's why I ask for help and correction) and in French (that's why I call myself a typo-nazi too when "necessary").
My sentence was by no way meant to be offensive toward...well people as picky as I am ^^'.

It seems like I felt into the not-your-mothertongue humour trap, my bad ! Smile

Anyway, I'd be happy to have your advice on my use of capitals especially if it is not good !
pilipili
pilipili

Message par Abonné absent Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 18:00

Actually the thing you misplace are question marks and exclamation points.
Unlike French, in English there is no space between the word and the mark.

i.e.: I like chips! but not I like chips !

For English punctuation, I recommend the excellent book "(The panda) Eats, Shoots & Leaves" from Lynne Truss.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Princeton Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 18:32

hai guise! can I join plz? just got sum bad remarks bout mai writing in english here and therr on the board. they say im doing it on purpoz to impress them. like i wan 2 dominaite them. wat. why would i do that! The thing is I dont alwaz realize im doing it b/c english s been like my momtongue 4 as lon as I can rememberr! with french! but i prefer english i think its such a beautiful langague an so much eazser. i dream, thnik, spek, writ, in both langages! yes sir! i like it that way. it helps me a lot in saying exactly wat i wan to say the way i wan 2 say it. i ve started laernin MANDARIN 2!! so excited! its so pretty! i liek it al ready! anywayz sumtaimes the french word is the 1 im looking for, sometimes its the englsh one. sometimes i feel its easier to speak english. but my writing in english is awful as u can see. *cries in corner* did i make any mistak professor sil? im so sorry, ill mak better next tiem. anywayz cya guise! nice to meet u all! carpe deim
Princeton
Princeton

Message par Hetaepsilon Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 18:46

Silwilhith a écrit:
Hetaepsilon a écrit:
Well, I think it's not just that. It means you've started to, say, open your mind to a new way of thinking.

I know it's a bit hard to understand but it becomes clear when you study and observe foreign cultures.
I understand this because it's the way I was thinking what I have written before ^^

morganw a écrit:
20, lives in Cergy and Rouen... can only be a student Very Happy . What do you study?
Great deduction! Congratulation! ^^ Actually I'm *en première année prépa ingénieur en bio-industries* Very Happy
I'm already doing this, and even sometimes, I dream in English or German :3
Hetaepsilon
Hetaepsilon

Message par morganw Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 20:37

Hetaepsilon a écrit:
Silwilhith a écrit:
Hetaepsilon a écrit:

I understand this because it's the way I was thinking what I have written before ^^

morganw a écrit:
Great deduction! Congratulation! ^^ Actually I'm *en première année prépa ingénieur en bio-industries* Very Happy
I'm already doing this, and even sometimes, I dream in English or German :3
Interesting. Not sure what bio-industry is, pardon my ignorance. Dreaming in German must be quite funny.
Princeton, I want to start learning mandarin too, looks so difficult though! But as a Chinese medicine student I feel that it would really help me.

morganw

Message par Princeton Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 20:45

morganw a écrit:Princeton, I want to start learning mandarin too, looks so difficult though! But as a Chinese medicine student I feel that it would really help me.

I don't think it's that difficult! Let's do it together! I think the hardest thing to learn is probably the four spoken tones. I started with the hans, the ideograms, the written Mandarin. They're really pretty so I like learning about them. But I can't write a thing yet. They look awesome on my book, but every time I try to copy them, they look like absolute horrific shit. Haha. I guess it takes time. It's funny how they make the words, by putting simple elements, simple words together. That's the way they get a new word. To say happiness for instance, they combine the word woman and the word child. Computer is the combination of the word brain and the word electric. As for the word kangaroo, it's big rat and pocket, if I remember correctly. I think it's nice. I'm still learning about those basic elements.
Princeton
Princeton

Message par morganw Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 20:59

Princeton a écrit:
morganw a écrit:Princeton, I want to start learning mandarin too, looks so difficult though! But as a Chinese medicine student I feel that it would really help me.

I don't think it's that difficult! Let's do it together! I think the hardest thing to learn is probably the four spoken tones. I started with the hans, the ideograms, the written Mandarin. They're really pretty so I like learning about them. But I can't write a thing yet. They look awesome on my book, but every time I try to copy them, they look like absolute horrific shit. Haha. I guess it takes time. It's funny how they make the words, by putting simple elements, simple words together. That's the way they get a new word. To say happiness for instance, they combine the word woman and the word child. And computer is the word brain and the word electric. As for the word kangaroo, it's big rat and pocket if I remember correctly. I think it's nice. I'm still learning about those basic elements.

Haven't really started anything yet, how do you study? On your own? The Confucius Institute in Paris looks like a good option IMO.
Yeah the four tones are such a mess. Another funny story (not mine):

“Weishengjin,” I said, beaming I remembered the word for napkin.
She turned and looked at me and [much to my dismay] so did everyone else in the restaurant. I looked around, considered the reason they were looking at me was probably because my Chinese was just THAT GOOD, and continued. “Mafan ni dai wo weishengjin.” Could I trouble you to bring me some napkins?
The tiny woman’s cheeks flushed and she stated they did not have any wei-sheng-jin. Silence fell on the crowded restaurant. Each pair of eyes stayed on my nervous waiguoren self. I knew my pronunciation wasn’t perfect, but come on…can a girl get some napkins?
Then laughter started and I grew frustrated: “Weishenme ni pian waiguoren? Ni kending you weishengjin! Zhi shi fanguan!” Why are you messing with a foreigner? You definitely have napkins! This is a restaurant!
The waitress froze and laughter erupted rising like the billowing cigarette smoke and steam from the boiling water in the middle of the tables. It wasn’t until much later…not seconds, not hours, but days later…when my Chinese friend told me just why they were laughing. I had demanded [in a loud voice] the waitress bring me menstrual pads.

morganw

Message par Princeton Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 21:13

Hahaha nice. These misunderstandings must be fairly common at the beginning. I have another joke, much less subtle, but here I go:

I asked a Chinese girl for her number.
She replied, "Sex! Sex! Sex! Free sex tonight!"
I said, "Wow!"
Then her friend said, "She means 6663629."

I bought a few books (particularly one that I find really beautifully made, it's called "le chinois c'est pas sorcier" by a woman named Shaolan), and I read them when I feel like it, although I haven't felt like it in weeks, to my dismay. I've been doing other things. It's often like that, I switch interests very quickly, it's referred to as being a "scanner profile" (I know it's a poor excuse...). But I intend to go back to studying it soon. I'd say it's impossible to learn a language such as Chinese if you don't commit to it at least once a week. I also considered going to classes at INALCO.
Princeton
Princeton

Message par pilipili Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 23:22

Silwilhith > Thanks for the punctuation tip! I know it, but I always forget to use it T_T

Morganw & Princeton > Oh, I also had this kind of trouble with accents the first time a kiwi told me something that sounded like "you know, I love huge dicks, they're great for children to play on it. I built one in my backyard last summer, best idea I've ever had!". Took me a while to realize what he was thinking of was a deck. Laughing

Chinese tones are completely impossible to get when you're not used to them. A Chinese friend of mine tried to make me hear the difference, but I never could.... therefore, I've stopped laughing at English speakers who can't hear the difference in "La russe rousse" xD
pilipili
pilipili

Message par Princeton Dim 14 Juin 2015 - 23:49

Hahaha I would have been so embarrassed if I'd heard that. I would have probably smiled politely though, while thinking the guy's a creep and wondering how to get the hell away asap. But I think I'd be embarrassed if anyone told me that bluntly that they loved huge dicks, if that's what they really intended to say of course, although I see no shame in that. I wouldn't go as far as building one though. Haha. Anyway... Yes, Chinese tones! They're so difficult (except the first one maybe, it's the easy one). From afar, Chinese still sounds pretty much like gibberish to me. Well, I see no reason to be discouraged. It'll get better in time.
Princeton
Princeton

Message par Abonné absent Lun 15 Juin 2015 - 7:48

Princeton a écrit:hai guise! can I join plz? just got sum bad remarks bout mai writing in english here and therr on the board. they say im doing it on purpoz to impress them. like i wan 2 dominaite them. wat. why would i do that! The thing is I dont alwaz realize im doing it b/c english s been like my momtongue 4 as lon as I can rememberr! with french! but i prefer english i think its such a beautiful langague an so much eazser. i dream, thnik, spek, writ, in both langages! yes sir! i like it that way. it helps me a lot in saying exactly wat i wan to say the way i wan 2 say it. i ve started laernin MANDARIN 2!! so excited! its so pretty! i liek it al ready! anywayz sumtaimes the french word is the 1 im looking for, sometimes its the englsh one. sometimes i feel its easier to speak english. but my writing in english is awful as u can see. *cries in corner* did i make any mistak professor sil? im so sorry, ill mak better next tiem. anywayz cya guise! nice to meet u all! carpe deim
Pété de rire
Have some Eastern Europe language roots? Wink

If you want a glimpse at the accent I'm much used to:

And a bit more serious talk on this topic:
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Page 4 sur 8 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Suivant