IndianaJoan
une (gaufre)
Ise
Yul
Luc
PolkaDotBrain
48 participants

Page 3 sur 8 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Suivant

Let's speak English! - Page 3 Empty Re: Let's speak English!

Message par Nihi Dim 8 Mar 2015 - 12:23

ddistance a écrit:Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay and your O.K.
Money money money... Must be funny, in a rich man's world.

Nihi

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message par lynka Dim 8 Mar 2015 - 18:23

Hugues a écrit:All studies say it's easier to learn a language when we are toddler and with time it become more difficult, I guess it's true because my memory change over the time, so I'm jealous of whom was able to start younger.

Don't let that kind of thought discourage you!

Hugues a écrit:About DIG
After watching the 1st episode I can nothing say, the story may be really interesting but some guys say the content is light.

I think a TV Show can start slowing then begin really interesting so I plan to watch next episodes.

Ok, thanks for the review Smile

Dernière édition par lynka le Dim 5 Juil 2015 - 18:16, édité 1 fois
lynka
lynka

https://discord.gg/aRMPnYzVe8

Message par Hugues Dim 8 Mar 2015 - 21:10

lynka a écrit:
Hugues a écrit:All studies say it's easier to learn a language when we are toddler and with time it become more difficult, I guess it's true because my memory change over the time, so I'm jealous of whom was able to start younger.

I don't worry about any thing I can't do but I'll never be fluent in english, moving in USA can help but even in this case you'll not be able to get a good enough english to "virtually" be able to speak about everything, with you native language it's the goal of a life.

So if you speak multiples languages in your childhood you get stronger in each languages

Hugues

Message par Abonné absent Dim 8 Mar 2015 - 22:21

Hugues a écrit:
lynka a écrit:

I don't worry about any thing I can't do but I'll never be fluent in english, moving in USA can help but even in this case you'll not be able to get a good enough english to "virtually" be able to speak about everything, with you native language it's the goal of a life.
You're kidding mate! After a year or two immersed in an English-speaking country, you'll be able to discuss anything in English. And on top of it you'll balance your French accent with a perfect control of the language and all women would like to die for a date with you! Just go! Pack your bag and off you go. The benefit is priceless. Very Happy
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Hugues Dim 8 Mar 2015 - 23:22

It's not what I meant I said EVERYthing, I don't reach this goal in French so about English It's just fully impossible and I spoke French better when I was child, I use a simpler langage because I have to be understood, In english you can easily be understood by speaking like peeps do, using a language is an art and mastering this art take more than a life.

Hugues

Message par Noumenie Dysnomie Lun 9 Mar 2015 - 4:05

I'm agree with Silwihith.
Noumenie Dysnomie
Noumenie Dysnomie

Message par Hugues Lun 9 Mar 2015 - 6:11

My father went to UK, we have family there, but he's not comfortable with English as he is with French and that's pretty normal.

I would like to move in USA because I do like the lifestyle but I can't

Hugues

Message par lynka Mer 11 Mar 2015 - 0:24

Just to be more specific :
Spoiler:

As for me, I'm not attracted to the US or UK, I'm pretty happy with going back to Ireland if I get the chance Smile

Dernière édition par lynka le Dim 5 Juil 2015 - 18:16, édité 1 fois
lynka
lynka

Message par Invité Mer 11 Mar 2015 - 2:07

I for one believe english is complicated for us french natives since there are a lot of different accents ; a friend of mine, born in australia, moved to the US to work and told me that he could not understand what people were saying and that it took him 6 months to get used to the accent and be able to communicate effectively.
That being said, I believe it takes around 3 months to go from not understanding a thing to understanding 90% of what you hear if you are exclusively with native speakers. Also it's excruciating to go through this process, good luck to anyone willing to give it a shot.

Invité
Invité

Message par Hugues Mer 11 Mar 2015 - 4:07

I don't think it's excruciating, why it should be ?

I don't think be with native speakers means must speak a lot if you'r too much exhausted I guess you are completely unable to learn, passively learning like your native langage seem to be a better approach.

When you are able to speak about basic stuff you can improve you vocabulary bu using a dictionary, if you think if a word is not used in a good way you can take a look to the synonyms of this word and remember in this case I should use this word and not this word.

I'm not a pro of langage I'm not able to give advices but its how I work for French so why give another approach with a foreign langage.

I'm lazy i'll not go in a pool of english expert and let me sink, I'll speak with guys that I'm able to understand and read the expert, with a book you can take the time to read it a couple times and search the meaning.

Hugues

Message par Noumenie Dysnomie Mer 11 Mar 2015 - 4:32

I never opened a dictionary but if i'm alone, wordreference or just google are my best friend. And with native or more fluent than me, body language and other world to explain what I perfectly wanna say, or synonyms as you say.

Be with natives speakers stay the best way to learn, practice and so speak.
You're too tired ? Get a rest and restart later. Or talk with just 1 or 2 people, not too many in a same time.
Be obvious please.
BUT, the only thing made me sad/mad is not a lot of people will correct your english.
They will understand you even if you're wrong, or find the word you wanna say, but no more.
You can't really improve your grammar by this way, just your vocabulary and idioms, some sentences pretty useful and accent/flow.

I'm glad that one of my roommate is a Austria girl able to speak 4 languages (and french), and she is enough nice and good to correct me Very Happy
But 2 others came from USA and they fucking don't care (but they are teachers, maybe that piss them off to do it all the day What a Face )
And my other one is a vietnamese girl with a perfect british and perfect accent. It's really refreshing to discuss with Smile

And as we all say : watch some movies/soaps with subtitles or without to improve.

Hello lynka, I have dyslexia (and others Dys stuff What a Face )
and that exactly whyyyy I'm not so good in every language
Grammar ? Did know what is it in my pokedex yet What a Face
And worst : I started to learn german during 9years, before I started others, so, even in french, I build all of my sentences with german style Sad
It's a huge mind gymnastic for me.
Noumenie Dysnomie
Noumenie Dysnomie

Message par Abonné absent Mer 11 Mar 2015 - 7:27

Noumenie Dysnomie a écrit:
BUT, the only thing made me sad/mad is not a lot of people will correct your english.
They will understand you even if you're wrong, or find the word you wanna say, but no more.
I was told (by a kiwi, and I also read it somewhere) that correcting the language mistakes is considered by Anglos as patronizing you. And this is very rude in the Anglo culture. That's why they never correct you. And they don't appreciate to be corrected in French either.
But yeah for us this patronizing thing is very frustrating.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Noumenie Dysnomie Mer 11 Mar 2015 - 7:30

Stupid humans (behaviour).

Pfff...
Noumenie Dysnomie
Noumenie Dysnomie

Message par Hugues Mer 11 Mar 2015 - 8:41

Weirdo, the guy spend energy to correct you in his mind but did not help you, that's a wasting of energy lol.

Hugues

Message par lynka Ven 13 Mar 2015 - 18:12

Cultural differences  Smile
Different politeness levels, different ways of thinking.
Nobody's "being stupid" or "rude", it's only a bad knowledge of the other person's culture/ways.
It creates misunderstandings and people can feel offended.
That's just the way it is.

Dernière édition par lynka le Dim 5 Juil 2015 - 18:17, édité 1 fois
lynka
lynka

Message par Abonné absent Ven 13 Mar 2015 - 18:51

lynka a écrit:Cultural differences  Smile
Nobody's "being stupid" or "rude", it's only a bad knowledge of the other person's culture/ways.
Yeah, just faced this situation last year when I tried to live with a kiwi girlfriend. She was totally rude and arrogant but she found it was totally normal to behave like she did. Criticizing everything of me and my kids, giving a bad mood, not talking to me, saying I was childish, giving priorities to herself and her daughters, imposing her ways of feeding and living, etc
But I think she is a bit insane too.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Hugues Ven 13 Mar 2015 - 23:09

I don't know any Kiwi.

But you don't have to be rude to tell something and if the guy don't like the way you are with him just learn from your mistakes

Hugues

Message par azul Sam 14 Mar 2015 - 2:09

Silwilhith a écrit:
lynka a écrit:Cultural differences  Smile
Yeah, just faced this situation last year when I tried to live with a kiwi girlfriend. She was totally rude and arrogant but she found it was totally normal to behave like she did. Criticizing everything of me and my kids, giving a bad mood, not talking to me, saying I was childish, giving priorities to herself and her daughters, imposing her ways of feeding and living, etc
But I think she is a bit insane too.

Unless you are trying to tell us it is a cultural thing to be obnoxious as a kiwi, I don't understand how that story relates to cultural differences by any stretch of the imagination...

Silwilhith a écrit:
I was told (by a kiwi, and I also read it somewhere) that correcting the language mistakes is considered by Anglos as patronizing you. And this is very rude in the Anglo culture. That's why they never correct you. And they don't appreciate to be corrected in French either.

It might be infortunate to a certain extent (as far as learning process is concerned) but I do understand where they are coming from. It's just a form of positive reinforcement. Is there much of a difference with what we do in France? I don't think so. If we were to correct every mistake there is on those languages threads, you'd better believe it would be very frustrating for a lot of people
azul
azul

Message par lanodan Sam 14 Mar 2015 - 11:42

azul a écrit:
Silwilhith a écrit:

It might be infortunate to a certain extent (as far as learning process is concerned) but I do understand where they are coming from. It's just a form of positive reinforcement. Is there much of a difference with what we do in France? I don't think so. If we were to correct every mistake there is on those languages threads, you'd better believe it would be very frustrating for a lot of people

Yup, this is why almost nobody’s like grammar nazi correcting everything. (Some people consider me a grammar nazi, but I’m more a orthotypography or vocabulary nazi).

Dernière édition par lanodan le Sam 14 Mar 2015 - 11:44, édité 2 fois (Raison : auto-quoting doesn’t works | Uh don’t change msg properties plz)
lanodan
lanodan

http://hacktivis.me/

Message par Hugues Sam 14 Mar 2015 - 13:51

Nazi, rude ...
The language is so beautiful why should we destroy it ?
I know I don't have a good orthotypography but I try at least.

Hugues

Message par lynka Sam 14 Mar 2015 - 20:57

It's not a matter of "destroying" anything... it's just a matter of "everybody learns at their own pace/everyone is at different levels".

As for me, I am a grammar/typo/syntax nazi.
I really am.   Papy
But I'm working on it (I didn't correct anyone on this topic and I'm proud of it!) ^^'
...because I can understand how discouraging/annoying it could be for others. Nobody likes a grammar nazi. Not even grammar nazis themselves^^

My ex suffered from severe dyslexia, at first it was a nightmare for me (eyeballs hanging, nosebleeds, brainfreeze..), and then I just learned to let go and finally accepted that he could never progress as much as I had hoped. But he had loads of other qualities I could focus on instead : he was really good at memorizing, very organized, very quick learner, and he could get the hang of any game/videogame in a matter of minutes.

As for me I might be good at spelling/syntax/grammar... but I'm a really slow learner, have the worst memorizing skills, and struggled to attain his skill level when it came to videogames.

It made me put things into perspective...
After all, who is to decide what should be emphasized when it comes to languages and communication?
Or even in life?
Smile

Dernière édition par lynka le Dim 5 Juil 2015 - 18:17, édité 1 fois
lynka
lynka

Message par Hugues Sam 14 Mar 2015 - 22:15

After all, i would like to say your brain do it for you.

However I think we are making less errors than native, Have you ever read know wrote "now" or a really awful weird use of the past tense like "You can read write, even said you are ..." what the hell, what the past doing here ??

If we're not profof speaking I think we are not that bad with grammar

Dernière édition par Hugues le Dim 15 Mar 2015 - 11:45, édité 1 fois

Hugues

Message par lynka Sam 14 Mar 2015 - 22:20

Yeah, loads of mistakes...
They 're confused when it comes to writing Where/were/we're... Current mistake^^

I don't understand the meaning of the second sentence though.
"You can read write, even said you are ..."
Even in the present tense it doesn't make sense to me, I don't understand... are the first and second part of that sentence even related?.

What's the context?

Dernière édition par lynka le Dim 5 Juil 2015 - 18:18, édité 1 fois
lynka
lynka

Message par Stauk Sam 14 Mar 2015 - 22:30

To have a better spelling when writing english than when writing my own mother language is somehow hard to swallow for me. Fortunately, the more my english deceiphering skill improves, the more spelling mistakes i make when i write.
Stauk
Stauk

http://www.staukwood.com/

Message par Hugues Dim 15 Mar 2015 - 12:01

lynka a écrit:Yeah, loads of mistakes...
I don't understand the meaning of the second sentence though.
Me neither, I was tired I guess I meant my writing is better than my speaking or something like that

lynka a écrit:
"You can read write, even said you are ..."
Even in the present tense it doesn't make sense to me, I don't understand... are the first and second part of that sentence even related?.

What's the context?

It's because I don't remember any exemple but I read sometimes past tense in a middle of a list or say something like "With make command you can made".

Sometimes you can read I goed ti the school ?!?! WTF ??? do you remember that we do say "I went" ??

I seen, euh no you saw.

I take extreme exemples but sometimes i can't read a text because of this kind of mistakes.

Hugues

Message par Abonné absent Dim 15 Mar 2015 - 15:15

Hold on. You must understand that native English speakers don't learn grammar before the end of High School. Conjugating all the verbs with 'ed' is very common among young kids. On their way they learn the irregular forms, progressively.
But instead of learning in a very boring way, like we do in France with French language, they learn by expressing themselves. For example they learn from the age of 10 to write an article for a newspaper, with the skills to make the article interesting and lively.
You cannot compare these two approaches of education. They are very different.

Beside I don't see what you find odd in the sentence "You can read write, even said you are...". This sentence is perfectly correct. That's the way people say it. And nobody tries to understand why it is said this way.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Hugues Dim 15 Mar 2015 - 15:35

I don't take the good exemples but it's the idea, I don't have texts to show you, I saw the same kind of mistakes in French too.

The issues isn't with kids that I can understand but with engineer, what's wrong with a French using english words like if it's French like Cryptage or Interview, or the guy whom wrote a report with you are wrote your ?

I can't judge but sommes errors are awful.

What I tried to say is we seem to be better in grammar in our secondary langage because we start to read a lot before speaking, and sommes adults may be bored by school will don't know how to write know and knob like some French don't conjugate it's easy don't replace -er by -é but sommes guys just wont.

I do a lot of mistakes but with the time I tried to get better and I dislike who reply you they don't care about the langage, it's a diss

Hugues

Message par lynka Dim 15 Mar 2015 - 20:46

Silwilhith a écrit:Beside I don't see what you find odd in the sentence "You can read write, even said you are...". This sentence is perfectly correct. That's the way people say it. And nobody tries to understand why it is said this way.
Ok, but what does it mean? I don't understand the meaning.

lynka
lynka

Message par Hugues Lun 16 Mar 2015 - 3:56

That it, it mean nothing but who care ?

Hugues

Message par Abonné absent Lun 16 Mar 2015 - 7:53

lynka a écrit:
Silwilhith a écrit:Beside I don't see what you find odd in the sentence "You can read write, even said you are...". This sentence is perfectly correct. That's the way people say it. And nobody tries to understand why it is said this way.
Ok, but what does it mean? I don't understand the meaning.
I give it to you in French "Tu peux lire l'écriture, même si tu es...". The dots suggest you can have any condition or nationality.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par lynka Lun 16 Mar 2015 - 23:47

Oh ok !

"You can read writing, even said you are this or that"

So, if I understand correctly... Here, "even said" means "even though", right?
Maybe it's a short version of "even if it's said that you are this"..
or just the past of "even.. um.. say.. you're this" ...
or something else...
or nothing at all.^^

Interesting...
Thanks

Hugues a écrit:That's it, it means nothing but who cares ?

I do, I can't understand the purpose of using a specific word/form (here, the past tense) if I don't know in which case it's used Smile
(and in that case, it apparently meant something)

lynka
lynka

Message par azul Mar 17 Mar 2015 - 3:19

How funny, I thought it meant "You can read, write, (you) even said you (were able to...)"
azul
azul

Message par Hugues Mar 17 Mar 2015 - 4:28

Can and past tense seem weird

It's like say I was woke up at 4AM I wanna killED someone this son of a bitch is my target :
Let's speak English! - Page 3 Lok_thumb

Hugues

Message par lynka Mer 18 Mar 2015 - 0:23

This pic is huge o_O

lynka
lynka

Message par Stauk Mer 18 Mar 2015 - 12:48

Is it the intended purpose of this thread, to become more competent at broken english ?
Stauk
Stauk

http://www.staukwood.com/

Message par Hugues Mer 18 Mar 2015 - 15:58

I guess there are better songs from seventies

Hugues

Message par lynka Mer 18 Mar 2015 - 16:30

Stauk a écrit:Is it the intended purpose of this thread, to become more competent at broken english ?

nope ^^
(good point)
But I don't know if we can get better at english without native speakers around to correct our mistakes.
So in the meantime, I guess we can just enjoy practicing together Smile

Dernière édition par lynka le Dim 5 Juil 2015 - 18:19, édité 1 fois
lynka
lynka

Message par Hugues Mer 18 Mar 2015 - 17:20

Practicing ?

I don't think I practicing my english by writing or calling others non native speakers, that's can screwed up your english if you are not able to recognize the bad from good english.

I've never tried to improve my english before I was good enough to understand a lot of stuff, earlier my english was even worst speaking with native speakers help me much more, btw I don't search to get a perfect english just be able to speak as well I speak French, except vocabulary obviously.

I don't know about you but I think the language barrier sucks

Hugues

Message par lynka Mer 18 Mar 2015 - 17:35

I think the language barrier is a good challenge Smile

But I agree on the "non-natives not helping improve one's language skills".

lynka
lynka

Message par Abonné absent Mer 18 Mar 2015 - 18:03

And as we said even the natives won't deliberately help improving your skills, unless paid as English teachers.
The only way is to listen to them and have daily conversations.
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par lynka Mer 18 Mar 2015 - 18:23

Yes, I remember you  guys saying that. But I never said I agreed with you.
My experience on the matter is a bit different.

I spent 2 1/2 years in Ireland and natives helped me a lot. I just asked to be corrected and they did (very often). ^^

Over there it can be sometimes considered rude to correct someone out of the blue, but not often, and especially not if the person asked for help in the first place. Smile
It all depends on the tone you're using.

...Or maybe Irish folks are just more easy going than the rest of the planet Laughing
I guess I was just lucky^^

lynka
lynka

Message par Hugues Jeu 19 Mar 2015 - 14:55

Fuck, my whole message was deleted and I won't restart ... 'cause I'm a creepy lazy man.

Maybe one day I'll take some english lessons and validate my level it may help to find a job if I move.

Hugues

Message par Sol œil Sam 21 Mar 2015 - 18:06

Dernière édition par Sol œil le Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 0:52, édité 1 fois
Sol œil
Sol œil

Message par Hugues Dim 22 Mar 2015 - 22:14

Last night I made a dream about me dreaming and figuring me out I'm dreaming, Inception powered

Hugues

Message par Invité Lun 23 Mar 2015 - 22:25

Dernière édition par moon the loon le Jeu 2 Avr 2015 - 1:17, édité 1 fois

Invité
Invité

Message par Abonné absent Mar 24 Mar 2015 - 7:45

moon the loon a écrit:so the meaning of this thread is that there's no meaning to this thread?
Yeah, this is simply a little babbling in English. For the pleasure of using the language. Smile
But if you want to raise some subject, you're welcome. Very Happy
Abonné absent
Abonné absent

Message par Hugues Mar 24 Mar 2015 - 20:36

I've stated to take a couples of english lessons I hope it shall help me to improve my english because I'm a bullshit and when I receive call in English from Apple or others company it's tricky.

Have you ever take courses or just practicing with friends or in foreign country ?

I really struggling with the prononciation and I think I'll get the vocabulary and get fluently with the time but if I can go further faster I'll shell out a couple hundred bucks every month.

PS: I love the users picture of Silwilhith Very Happy

Hugues

Message par Invité Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 0:06

Invité
Invité

Message par Hugues Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 0:28

Wanna correct me, an advice don't even think about it when it's in French lol

But no, it's an user picture in my geek language.

And it's not about what I want because I want everything I can, so it's about my ability to get a positive result.

If you don't understand me it's because you don't take the same drugs Razz

BTW, I'm in the fuck***g freaking creepy North.

Ya, I know I'm a weirdo, to understand me just imagine I were drunk even if I weren't, you can also try to read it upside down, buying a stairway to heaven or just read other messages above (not mine or I'm sorry for your headache).

Ok Ok, I leave

Hugues

Message par Invité Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 0:43

Invité
Invité

Message par Hugues Mer 25 Mar 2015 - 1:25

moon the loon a écrit:If I don't understand you it is because I don't take any drugs [edit : nor alcohol] ;-)
I do, after the Opium and other scaring stuff I'm away from this kind of medicine, how can you call it medicine when it make you feel half die

I'm not in the Nord but the Moselle, it mean that if I wanna go to England I need to take the train at Paris, and England isn't my cup of tea (Easy, I know).

But England means a lot of Whisky so ... maybe one day you'll find me fucked up in London.

Apple ask me to come at London for the Apple watch, I don't think I've the time, I've a lot of work

Hugues

Page 3 sur 8 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Suivant